This dish is a great way of exposing children to a wide variety of veg all in one, tasty meal. And with all that veg comes lots of fibre, and vitamins! Potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms are gently simmered in tomatoes and herbs, creating a delicious, warming meal. This dish serves perfectly with rice or bread and butter.
What do we love about our farmer reggie's stewed veggies?
With lots of veggies in this dish it provides a great way of increasing the fibre in your diet, which is important for supporting immunity and improving the diversity of your microbiota. We’ve used marmite in this dish for an extra flavour boost, which is fortified with B vitamins to help release energy from food and make red blood cells to carry oxygen around the body.
The potatoes provide starchy carbohydrates, which are a good source of energy, fibre, B vitamins, and potassium.
- A glug of sunflower oil
- 1 large red onion - diced
- 2 carrots - chunkily cut
- 175g mushrooms- finely chopped
- 425g button mushrooms - quartered or halves
- 3 cloves garlic- finely chopped
- 500g new potatoes - quartered
- 2 sprigs of thyme - finely chopped
- 3 sprigs of rosemary - leaves only - finely chopped
- 45g tomato paste
- 1100ml water
- 690g tomato passata
- 1 spoonful of marmite
- 1 cube/pot of mushroom
- stock (or veg stock if not)
- small handful of dried wild
- mushrooms - finely chopped
- 1g of nutritional yeast
- 1 small pinch of black pepper
Download the full farmer reggie's stewed veggies recipe, here.